15 November 2006

Time for Me to Fly...

I'm gonna do it. I'm sure it's not going to be pretty. Of course, I have 3-4 months to weigh it, try every other conceivable option of getting out of it, and then coming to terms with the fact that if I want to get on with actually doing something with my LAK (life after kids) that I better get my silly ass out and actually DO it.

Picture this... Dayton - Spring 2007. I am at the airport (I'll be fine, mother) getting ready to board. I've passed the security check with minimal aggravation. *good job cleaning all the crap out of my purse before heading down there* I am looking at a 5.5 hour transit from there to a stopover in Detroit - yuck - then on to Syracuse. I make it through to the actual door of the plane, fight the urge to turn around and walk back out and step across the threshold. Resisting the urge to yak right there, take a few deep breaths and continue on to my seat. Knock myself in the head 3 times with my carry-on before I get it to go into the compartment. I'm in my seat, I've brought a magazine. I know better than to bring a book, there would be no way I could concentrate. I am in the middle seat (no windows - 1st time flyers with control issues don't need to see what they cannot control) with aggravating fellow 1 on my left, and aggravating fellow 2 on my right. I don't care, I'm going to meet my Hero and celebrate his returning home safely!!!

Now, let me say, this will not be an easy thing for me to do. I am 29 years old (shut up) and have never flown. The closest I've come is the Blue Streak at Cedar Point when I was 13. I wasn't much thrilled with it then.

Now, I have driven a semi truck into triple digits, wandered through downtown Detroit in a big truck in the late evening (not on purpose) and crossed over into our northern neighbor and not once felt this type of fear. It's not the threat of terrorists so much (just a little) as it has always been "I am not the one in control of the vehicle". I admit, I get very nervous when other people drive. They may be the world's best driver; doesn't matter. I've been driving myself around for so long, and its well known that folks who drive trucks don't like to let other people put their lives in their hands. I can fully relate.

And, since they've not yet created controls that I can use in Coach or Business Class, I simply don't fly. :)

Another factor weighing in on me is the timing. I could drive this trip in 10 hours. Cake. To fly, I have at least a 1.5 hour drive to the nearest airport, check in couple hours early, stall plane for 45 minutes til I complete my hissy fit, then a 5.5 hour (with one stop) flight before I get there. Let's see, add 2, divide by 4, subract pi, and I show a half hour difference. ? My Hero assures me it will be easier on me to fly. *silly Hero* :) See above description of first time flier with control issues.

So wish me luck with my new endeavor... will keep you updated.

No comments: