25 March 2008

What? Huh? Where am I?

Ahh, the peace of a sleeping child. Two weekends ago I went to visit my brother and his family. My favorite niece, two, climbed up on the couch with me and took a nap. In my crazy, 100 mph, constantly moving world, this was a brief moment of heaven. There is nothing as calming as the peaceful look on a child's face, the scent of baby shampoo, and the rise and fall as they breathe while sleeping, no cares in the world. It just brings you back to normal. It's as close to calm as I've been in awhile.

Later that night, my favorite youngest nephew came out of his room in the middle of the night and curled up on the couch with his blankie at my feet. In the morning, my sis-in-law told me that she came out of the bedroom and he looked up at her, then over at me, and said, "Mommy, why didn't you tell me it wasn't you?" Aren't they great?

And of course, my favorite oldest nephew, who is now eight, was all over me. He made me promise that we were gonna "play games, and hang out and be buds."

My brother and his wife are going through a bit of a rough time. It's not easy keeping a family together these days. They're committed to doing it, and doing it happily. He's always been my sounding board, and voice of quiet sense when my world's gone awry. It's different being on the other side. My sis-in-law, mom and I went shopping *ugh* and had a really good time. My brother showed me his new band - first gig in June! - can't wait to see them in action. He's growing his hair and playing guitar... I asked him if he was going through a mid-life crisis. He said I wouldn't think it was a mid-life crisis if he made it big, and got to tour with Nickelback. *swoon* I would SO be their biggest groupie!

This past weekend the kids were all home for the holiday. My son was the last one in late Thursday night. The first hour was nothing but wrestling around, teasing, and picking. He is now getting "peach fuzz" on his face. His oldest sister was picking at him asking him if he was trying to grow it out. His dad chimed in and said it would grow a lot faster if he didn't shave it every two or three.... months. buahahahaha.

So I worked a half day Friday, came home and hung out with the kids. Sweet. Saturday we did our holiday. His dad and step-brother came over - we get along fine - and I was prepared. I told the ex I had a honeydew list for him. "Oh really?" Yep, might as well be useful since I'm feedin' ya. So, I got my oven light changed, my water heater turned up, and all the pictures and decorations I'd been trying to hang for six months put up around the house. He and the boys were busy for an hour while I started dinner.

Afterwards, we all did the play games, nap, and chit-chat thing. It was a wonderful day. And then...

5:20 Sunday morning, Junior comes in to tell me her car won't start (she has to work at 6) and what am I going to do about it? *sigh* I don't like being yelled at, especially in the mornings. Makes me very foul for the day. I tell her this. She goes out the door "thanks a fucking lot" and slams it, waking up everyone in the house. Oh hell no. If it were me, she could sit there til the cows come home, but I want everyone to be able to go back to sleep. So I ask the ex if he'll help. Gladly. We piddle around and about 15 minutes later we get the car started and she takes off... How old were you before you realized the world didn't revolve around your every waking moment?

Anyhow... the last month has been a blur. I just realized I haven't posted in over a month. I've thought about it, logged on to do it, and just haven't been able.

I'm doin' alright. Been working 3 jobs, and about to start a 4th tonight. Slowly catching up and hangin' in there.

OMG. Cutie but not hottie foreign IT guy must be having a midlife crisis as well. Two weeks ago Wednesday my girls came in to the office at the end of the day. We do "girls night" dinner and catch up with each other. He was chit-chatting with all of us and we being the nice people that we are, invited him out to dinner with us. Amazingly enough, he accepted. We went in Junior's car, and I will never let her drive again. She turns the music up, pulls in the wrong way, and just generally forgets she has a brain because there's a male in the vicinity. Anyhow, we go in to the local tavern and sit down. I am amazed. We had a very good time talking and laughing for about an hour and a half. Then we all went back to the office and got our cars to go home. The next day, he tells me I have two very different girls, but both very cool. We talk a bit about them. It's strange to have a non-work-related conversation with him. Now he says "hi" in the mornings, and he was actually picking on me yesterday. I think we've finally made our peace. It is strange. I guess the world is a smaller place when you are face-to-face with someone who is so totally opposite everything you've ever known. I am pretty patriotic, new generation with old traditions. You will never get me to say I'd ever rather be somewhere else. I will admit that sometimes I wonder what the hell is wrong with this country, but there is no place I'd rather be. I just try to not offend.

I'm not taking classes for the time being. They start up again in May. It's been a nice breather. I've gone out a few times with a good ol' boy. He's quite fun to talk to, and cool to hang around. However. Ugh. He has a MySpace page. No biggie, I have a blog. However, when I check it out and see his friends list (14 females and 1 male) and how they all say hello and how ya doin and how they're thinkin' of him and blah blah blah it just doesn't thrill me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned now, but I really don't want to be part of a harem. And I don't see him getting serious about anyone in the near future. He's having too much fun dating and being friends with all these women. mmm-kay.

So that's where I've been and what I've been up to... not much exciting... I do have some good work stories, but those will wait for another day...

So what have YOU been up to?

1 comment:

sparrow said...

Barb, BACK OFF!
*wink*

It's good to "see" you!