04 February 2007

Prayer of an Earthly Angel

Dear God,

I know we talk a lot about silly little things. (Please let me make it to work on time, please don't let me run out of gas before I get to town, please keep me from choking my kids when they aggravate me.) We even occasionally talk about the bigger things. (Please let the Heroes come home safely. Please let my kids outlive me-provided I don't choke them first. Please watch over my family and friends.)

Lord, I know I've been fortunate with my family. I know the time is coming when I will see them and friends pass away. I know I've seen the world change immensely since I was a child. I know the older generations have seen even more. I know You've been there for me even when I thought I didn't want or need You.

Most gracious Lord, tonight I thank You for giving me the love of family and friends, the safety of being protected by the world's greatest Military, and the health I so carelessly squander. Why do we discount those with no monetary value but great worth, and worry about and protect all the "stuff" with monetary value but are replaceable?

Dear God, thank You for giving me a strong mind, a curious soul and the internal strength to hold on when I'm beyond hope. Thank you for letting me be the idiot that I am; I've not been perfect - not even close. With the exception of killing, I'm pretty sure I've run through about all of the rest of the Big Ten at one time or another. I can only hope when I stand before you that you know I've loved and believed in You, in Jesus and in everlasting life. I look to you for guidance, and know that even when its not obvious, you gently (and sometimes not so gently) guide me in the right direction. One day, Lord, I may even figure out that if I would just listen the first six times, my life would be a lot less stressful.

Lord, watch over my family, my friends, my Heroes. Bless them with good health, strong minds and love for Your son, Jesus.

Dear God, forgive me my past and grant me the peace of acceptance with that past. Forgive me my present, I'm trying very hard. And Lord, we all know I'm going to be stupid in the future, so please, watch over, help and forgive me then as well.

In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments: